Tuesday, April 10, 2012

RIP Squeekers

A few weeks ago our beloved Squeekers passed away.  While Ben and I were getting ready to go out for the evening, Meialni came running in saying Squeekers was dead.  Upon further investigation, we found that she was still alive, but not doing well at all.  She was shaking and not moving, taking very shallow breaths.  Apparently, we learned, hamsters have a very short life span.  Meilani was quite upset when we left for our date, but we reassured her that all living things die, and that Squeekers lived a full life.  The fact that Meilani hadn't fed Squeekers in a couple of days may or may not have contributed to her death, but we're going to go with the "old age" theory.  Here's the email Meilani sent us while we were on our date:

"Squeekers was a great pet.  She kept me company when I was sad, she played with me, and most of all she always made me smile.  When I got Squeekers I thought she was just a pet, but now that she's gone, I have realized she was my best friend.  I love Squeekers and wish you were here."

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh sad :( Kids get so attached to their pets. I've been feeling bad ever since we had to get rid of our cat...Connor was so attached to him...I think he was like a best friend to him too...I've been thinking maybe we need another pet to fill that void for my little Connor, but I don't know if I'm up for it...and Jason is definitely not excited about the idea! Pets are so much fun when you're a kid and don't have many other responsibilities, but not so much as a Mommy (or Daddy) already chasing after all the kids and their messes! lol Hope Meilani starts to feel better soon...