Thursday, September 20, 2012

First Day of School

Around mid August, I get really mad.  Mad that summer is over, that soon the schedules and routines of school will supersede my authority to dictate when and what we do.  Then, during the last couple of weeks of summer, my kids get whiny.  They fight and carry on, and complain about being bored.  And suddenly, I can't wait for school to start.  I get anxious for routines and time to get the dishes done.  I give myself the "times and seasons" speech on a regular basis.  You know the one where you're supposed to enjoy the moment and season of life you're in because soon, the season will change (literally, or figurative) and you'll miss and crave the opportunities staring you in the face today?  I give my kids that speech too.  My oldest daughter who shall remain nameless, tends to hate summer because she's bored and starved from social interaction, then hate the school year because she doesn't have time to relax.  Times and seasons, times and seasons.  So now that I'm officially back to the grind and longing for care free summer days, I'll remind myself to enjoy the moment of today, even if I do really breathe easier between June and August.

6th grader


So beautiful!

4th grader


So handsome!

2nd grader


My awesome girl.

Off to Kindergarten


I told Liam I was going to miss him when he went to Kindergarten and jokingly asked him if he'd like to stay home with me and be home-schooled.  He looked at me like I was crazy and said "Mom, you don't know anything about Kindergarten," to which I replied, "I have a college degree in Kindergarten, thank you very much!"  What a little punk.

I love, love, love, these kids.

Found his carpet square!

He was mad that I wouldn't let him have a play date with his friend after school, so was less than cooperative for a photo.  Notice how he's WAY taller than his friends.  And so it begins.

No comments: